Car Museums.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Museums.

While looking through the thread Pug205 posted with pics from car museums in Japan I thought it would be good to start a thread to show members pics from various car museums that they have visited over the world. It seems we have some world travellers on the forum and I'm sure there are some great places to visit that many haven't heard about.

I've been fortunate with work travels to visit some pretty impressive places over the last (nearly) 9 years.

Bathurst Museum
    Porsche - Old mueseum twice and new museum this year
    Mercedes - twice to the old one and once to the new one.
    Audi - twice
    BMW - Old and new, once each
    Schlumpf Mueseum (France)

I've got a heap of pics but they are all on my work computer. I'll get into them and post the good ones here somewhere. Might need a flickr account as there are a lot.

If anybody has pics/reviews/advice of these or other museums post away.

This is a great idea as it will give future travellers some great ideas as well.

Comment

I think that you may have forgotten the best car museum on the face of this earth, which I imagine that you would have visited.

The Bowdens

I'll post some pictures over the weekend

Comment

I posted some photos from the recent F1 exhibition at Te Papa Museum here in Wellington, NZ, in this thread...

http://forums.biante.com.au/showthread.php?t=13571

I also visited the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuggart, Germany, a few weeks ago. That place is amazing. I'll post some photos from there in the next day or two.
        Last edited by KiwiRallyFan; 06-11-2009, 04:16 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

in japan you can go to the auto museum,i think they have a shuttle bus that goes only to the museum,its like the size of the melb cbd,every jap car to ever been made is in there,saw it when they released the new gtr godzilla in 2007.
          and there is a nice small one in tassie,launceston auto museum,has dick johnson sierra,heaps of old ones and bikes as well.

Comment

Fazination Nurburgring. Out in the middle of nowhere but well worth the trip to see the track as well. Lots to see there with interactive games (squeeze yourself into a F3 simulator) and a go-kart track underneath as well. You queue to get in alongside an F50

Galleria Ferrari. Was expensive and not a lot to see there when I went but apparently they have expanded it since then. Could stand so close to an Enzo that you could fog it up by breathing on it. Everything costs $ there!

Freemantle Motor Museum, not sure where its moved to but they had an Alan Jones Williams and a Lancia Stratos as well as a lot of British cars if they are your thing.

Comment

Ahh yes, Fremantle. Forgot about that one.

And no I have never been to see the Bowdens collection.

I'll try and get pics updated over the weekend.

I also forgot another one, the Minichamps museum in Aachen. Opened a couple of years ago and a very impressive place to visit for the avid model collector.

Comment

There's the Holden showroom in Melbourne (Salmon St, Port Melbourne) - and they have most of their concept cars on display. Must for any Holden fan (+ its free)

Most of them that are here (http://www.holden.com.au/concept-cars) (apart from volt and camaro). Have a few others that arent there (monaro concept, marilyn the monaro convertible etc).

For more details: Holden Customer Assistance: (03) 9646 5466 / 1800 033 349
                Last edited by VE II; 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

There's that one in Whiteman Park too.. can't remember the name

Comment

I went to the Haynes (as in the car manuals) Museum in England in 2000. It is huge with a massive variety of cars. There is even a room with only red cars in it. It was freakin awesome. Unfortunately i didn't have a digital camera back then so all the pics are on film.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderken17 View Post
                      I went to the Haynes (as in the car manuals) Museum in England in 2000. It is huge with a massive variety of cars. There is even a room with only red cars in it. It was freakin awesome. Unfortunately i didn't have a digital camera back then so all the pics are on film.

I went to Haynes in Sept last year......the "Red Room" is still their

From memory there are approx 500 cars there!

I also went to Brooklands (Worlds first race track) and its museum.......and also to the Beaulieu National Motor Museum near Southampton... will try and get some pics up over the weekend

Comment

I couldn't believe how many cars they had there. It was more like a parking lot than a museum (an extremely expensive parking lot).

Comment

Originally posted by monarocveightz View Post
                          I
                          Brooklands (Worlds first race track)
                          Really ??

Comment

Originally posted by david5 View Post
                            Really ??
                            According to Brooklands, it is "The world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit'...which is what I meant lol
                            http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

Comment

The first motor sport event at a track is the Milwaukee Mile but this was on a horse racing track so this is worlds first motor racing track.
                              Last edited by Mr K; 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM. Reason: too late post.

Comment

Working...
                              X