What Makes You Sad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes You Sad?

There's a What Cheeses You Off Thread, and a What Makes you Happy. Here's another.

I'm suffering a bout of depression. I feel I'm struggling in life; I hate myself, I hate my job, and have lost someone close to me. Why does it feel everything in life doesn't matter anymore?

Share yours.

Firstly.. Gillick, if you are not already seeing someone, please get hold of a friend, priest, family member or better still a trained professional and talk about it. It will make a difference. Alcohol or unprescribed drugs will only cause more damage..

The innocents dying or being left homeless. Children's bleak future in the labour force and housing market and the hoplessness I sometimes feel for our people to get on top of it make me sad..

Comment

Seeing what I believe to be a child on the road with someone performing CPR after being hit by a car. I suspect it was one of 2 kids I saw minutes earlier at an ATM. I didn't stop to help as there were plenty already there but went to the hospital to see if any calls had been made. The worst part was we have our festival happening and these 2 kids were drawing out money and I suspect ready to head to the show. Probably too excited to check properly before crossing the road. Now 1 child is in a bad way (I hope), 1 child saw his friend hurt and a driver will never forget what happened tonight.

We've had a few deaths here, and I watched an old coach and mate die umpiring a footy game I was playing in 6 or 7 years ago. I looked in his eyes as he fell to the ground and got the guys to stand in a group to shade him while he was being attended to.

Tonight was bad.. I hope he or she is alright..

Comment

Originally posted by Gillick View Post
        There's a What Cheeses You Off Thread, and a What Makes you Happy. Here's another.

I'm suffering a bout of depression. I feel I'm struggling in life; I hate myself, I hate my job, and have lost someone close to me. Why does it feel everything in life doesn't matter anymore?

Share yours.

Gillick, firstly it is good that you are at the point of admitting this. That is the first step. I too was in this way late last year and it feels awful. You must seek some professional help as by this time, you have not the strength to pull yourself through it. It is good you are talking about it. We are here for you, please pm me if you want to talk further.

I also read a book the other week that was fantastic, if you pm me with your address I could send it to you. I was in a similar way and my doctor prescribed some low level anti depressants and they helped level me out so I could deal with what is getting to me. I did not get to the pont of throwing the towel in as I knew that God would help me through if I trusted him and that this time is happening for both a season and a reason. Please do not feel I am preaching to you, I just know what it is like and I am just starting to come up out of it, so I want to share my hope with you that it will improve. Our family prays to Jesus daily, we shall keep you in our prayers. Again we are here for you. Ah also one thing my doc said when I was at the start of my slump was not to make any big life decisions due to my frame of mind, that could be worth remembering as I know that in my slump everything sucked despite looking objectively all was well in most ways.

Comment

I know what you guys are going through when it comes to depression after going through a relationship break up in 1999, although i must admit mine was not as bad as what you guys have endured. My philosophy is simple and it's something i tell everybody who feels down or wothless. :"OUT OF SOMETHING BAD COMES SOMETHING GOOD" i tell myself this when things go wrong or you miss out on something that you think should be yours. Believe me it works and if you take this approach, over time you will see the benefits..life is to precious to throw away.Think positive.....
          Last edited by jediholden; 21-08-2006, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Keep ya chin up Gillick, the best is yet to come.

You're certainly not alone in that most of us have been to a similar place.

Agree with what the others have said totally. Talk to someone and try to look at the good rather than the bad. Look for positives rather than negatives.

And always remember, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Comment

Definately been there.

Everyone's right, look for the positives.

Positive for me is knowing that there would be a speedway race somewhere on Saturday night.

Comment

Gillick, after seeing my mother die in front of me for over 18 months i can tell you that everyday your breathing is a good day. When she finally passed away i had a huge weight off my shoulders knowing that i didnt have to be the pillar of the family.

Being positive helped me get through it knowing she was going to be in a better place than where she was with the pain she was in.

Personally i had a tuff time about 10 yrs ago similar to what you posted, life sucked hated the job spilt with the girlfriend. What did i do, move to QLD and havent looked back i dont know if you are willing or able to something like that but sometimes just a change of environment can do wonders for the soul.

Mate keep your chin up as nothing is that bad in life to chuck it all away.

Luke

Comment

Gillick, judging by the responses there are a quite a few people here that know what you are going through. I have also been there myself, when my marriage broke up i was in the pits of despair. I had nothing but an empty house a motorbike and over $200,000 debt hanging over my head with no way of paying for it, my wage didn't come close to covering the debt I was in. On top of that the body corporate where i had previously lived tried to sue me for unpaid body corporate fees, even though i had sold the place 12 months earlier. My parents and my brother could see something was wrong and came to my rescue, for which i will be eternally grateful.

Now everthing is going great, i'm engaged to be married, have my own house (sold the previous one for a healthy profit ), life couldn't be much better.

Looking back at my situation i probably should have had some kind of counselling, it took me quite a long time to be able to trust the opposite sex again.

Just remember Gillick there is always someone to talk to whether it be friends, family or someone on this forum.

Comment

Remeber Gillick.

Pressure Creates Diamonds.

The things that nearly break us only make us better.

Good luck.

James

Comment

Heavy stuff...
                      But that said if this helps anyone going through a hard time its a great thing.

Comment

What makes me sad is the average prices of Perth homes. You need to be quite wealthy to be able to buy your first home. I still have not been able to even save a deposit on my first home.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillick View Post
                          .....and have lost someone close to me....
                          I almost know how you feel Gillick, my father was knocked down & ran over by a car he was working on.....needless to say the Ambulance officers etc...didn't expect him to survive the flight to hospital.....Well it will be one month tomorrow since his accident & it appears that he will make a full recovery, we just need to wait for all his bones, etc... to mend

I know there were several times during the first 48 hours after it that things looked bloody grim, but we never gave up hope & kept telling him that! It's amazing what the body can endure when the mind is healthy and there are lots of positive people around you.

I suppose what I am trying to say is, as hard as things get always try to look for the positives. I know it's what got me through the past month. I know during the 1st day in hospital when there were some really scary moments & what got me though was that we'd shared so many positive, happy moments together & that neither of us has no grievances towards one another.

Also I think the fact that we've share so many laughs & could draw on those moments to help get us through & in your time of need, I'd suggest something similar. I know for me one of the best forms of medicine was laughter & I did spent some time reading the joke thread (when I wasn't driving to & from the city) & I believe it helped give me the energy that was required to help me strong for my family.

I hope that reading people's responses in this thread gives you the energy to keep pushing ahead

Comment

my aunt passed away yesterday morrning, thats made me sad. what made me sadder was that dad, her brother, was going to make the trip (200ks) to see her because we were told that she was pretty ill (that $#%$#ing cancer she had for a few years) but got the dreaded phone call.

make the most of your life if you can because you never know what day will be your last.

Comment

Originally posted by awawaw View Post
                              my aunt passed away yesterday morrning, thats made me sad. what made me sadder was that dad, her brother, was going to make the trip (200ks) to see her because we were told that she was pretty ill (that $#%$#ing cancer she had for a few years) but got the dreaded phone call.

make the most of your life if you can because you never know what day will be your last.
                              I'm sorry to hear that bro. My aunty passed away in April from cancer that went through her in a short period of time. That extremely aggressive type. I cant remember the name of it but from diagnosis to death it was less than 18 months. I rang her to to offer whatever support i could for mum's sake and when i finished talking to her i burst into tears on the other end of the phone. I hardly had anything to do with her, not through not wanting too, we just didnt see each other. Although we weren't that close, it still hurts when it's family.

Comment

Working...
                              X