The cane toad thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cane toad thread

Julian obviously comes from an area in Australia not infested with cane toads and has not grown up partaking in the great Northern Australian pastime of despatching cane toads to their maker (some humane, some notso)
    I thought it was a great topic, open for discussion that MGH66 brought up. It's almost un-Australian not to participate in this community minded topic.
    As the previous posts were unfortuneately deleted, from memory I think I mentioned a golf club of choice, is one of the more popular methods. It serves a two fold purpose. Despatch of the poor old cane toad, primarily. But it also helps develop a good swing. I found my clean hitting of a golf ball with woods improved greatly after a warm and wet summer here in Queensland. I used my Big Bertha once, and once only (with a very messy and distructive result)
    There's plenty of other methods, some involving flammable liquids, but lets not go there.

Last edited by porsche91722; 02-02-2016, 01:16 PM.

10 or 15 more years and they will probably reach Perth.

Comment

The golf club method becomes a bit more extreme and complex at night when holding a torch in one hand and they are on the hop, certainly improves the hand eye coordination though.

Comment

Originally posted by fordmad17 View Post
        10 or 15 more years and they will probably reach Perth.
        Aren't they already in Kakudu?

Comment

When i lived in Papua New Guinea in the mid eighties there were heaps of cane toads there. I can only assume they were introduced around the same time as in Australia. I used to have an electric fence box with a single wire coming from it and the cane toads used to come into a porch area where i fed a couple of cats that i had with whiskettes. I would go out at night and there would be 3 or 4 toads sitting in this bowl and they would eat all the leftover whiskettes , i would get the wire and turn it on and poke it onto the backs of the toads and sparks would come off them, they would puff right up and hop away back out onto the grass to get away it would be 3 or 4 days until they came back. At night they would get on the roads to be squashed lol.

Comment

Originally posted by malscar View Post
            Aren't they already in Kakudu?
            Yep. On there way to Perth

Comment

Fishing line around a leg then tied to a small rock (pebble) and throw him up on old biddies tin roof was always fun. Cricket bats are fun.Golf gets messy.

Comment

Apparently the humane way to euthanize the buggers is to freeze them, now this technique has several disadvantages. you actually have to pick them up, doesn't worry me as this is a precursor to the discuss method (to be discussed later).

Secondly you need room in the freezer, but the greatest drawback, pending type of packaging and how long they have been left in the freezer is that they can be easily be mistaken as a leftover food item i.e meatloaf, rissoles etc, if picked up early enough not a problem and can be disposed of, if undetected and revved up in the old microwave they can cause quite a commotion with the other half and a hell of a mess. Many a new microwave has had to be purchased due to this rookie mistake.

If utilising this method recommend labeling packaging.

Comment

I love the sound they make when I run over them in the car. Some times the cheeky buggers sit there and wait until I'm almost on top of them and then suddenly hop to the side, but I'm thorough, I'll stop and double back so as not to miss any.

If anyone thinks this is wrong, just remember this, cane toads prey on native Australian frogs, which are now becoming scarce.

Comment

I don't care how they are killed. They are horrible creatures.

Comment

Good call fordmad, an entrepreneurial gentleman in FNQ has come up with an excellent way to cull the population and actually utilise them, he must be utilising the freezer method as obviously the carcass needs to be in pristine condition for this form of art.

http://www.toadmanjack.com/samples.php

Comment

The humble toads skin is tough, durable and strong, hence we have toad skin leather which is made into a variety of products.

A must have item at the Supercars on a sunny day, a toad sunvisor -

When you hit Merch alley for that desirable model, shirt, a toad bumbag and matching wallet

For a bit of sophistication when attending after race events or drinks, the toad bowtie

Last edited by MGH66; 05-02-2016, 03:15 AM.

Comment

QUEENSLAND dogs are getting addicted to the hallucinogenic sweat that oozes off the backs of cane toads.

Vets warn that some dogs are so desperate for a fix they deliberately hunt down the amphibians to stimulate the excretion of the deadly poison, then lick their prey.

Another reason to bring out Big Bertha, or anything handy.

Comment

Gee you have really been studying them MGH66. I haven't seen as many around this year, in fact havent seen any this year so far at my place.

What does MJH66 mean. Is it your initials and birth year.

Comment

Yeah mate initials and birth date, real creative

As for the population here on the rock, still quite a few around, no monsters though, got three on Thursday when cleaning out behind the Titan years of accumulated crud, roofing iron, guttering, C section, weeds and other shrubbery, old machette made short work of them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X